Thursday, September 22, 2016

Post Roof Breaking Ceremony (Celebrate with a Tango)

It's the end of week three!!!

This week has been extremely eventful. From performing at the Roof Breaking Ceremony, to seeing Misty Copeland in person for the first time, this week has definitely been a week to remember.

In terms of music, my Composition class stood out in particular. Last week, our teacher gave us an assignment of creating a phrase of movement. This week, she gave us various challenges in time manipulation of the phrase (i.e. slowing it down to fit a certain time-frame, and speeding up the phrase to fit a different time-frame).

The most musically interesting challenge of all was to apply a tango rhythm to our phrase. We were asked to use our phrase and accent the "1" and "4" count in 4 measures of 4 counts. In the last measure (the 4th measure) we had to accent all 4 counts in the measure and continue the whole pattern on the "1" of the next measure. All together, it can be read like "1..41..41..41234"(repeat)

Note: It's strange to describe rhythm and music via writing and journaling, etc. Various musical textures and qualities make sense in my head, but it's hard to put in writing for others to understand. I'm not sure if I'm describing rhythms adequately enough for my audience.  But I also believe that it's a good challenge for me. I know that adequate description of music demonstrates my understanding of different kinds of music textures and rhythms. For that, I will power through!

No comments:

Post a Comment