Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Rocka My Soul: First Week Back at The Ailey School

Enfin!!!

I've finally figured out how I'm going to journal my thoughts and experiences of music through dance for my Music class at The Ailey School!!!

I knew that I didn't want to keep a journal, because it would be too arduous for me to take out the pages neatly with the journals I already have, and I'm not of a mind to purchase a new one. In addition to this, loose- leaf pages can be difficult to keep track of in general.

All that was left for me was some form of "digital journaling," (is that a thing???) and voilĂ ! The idea of this blog came fully formed.

I'm not sure exactly how long journal entries are required to be for my music class, and I intend to write these blog posts as I would write an informal journal, documenting my observations as I would actually speak them in person, so I hope my blog fulfills the requirements for the course. Anyway, for this first post I am going to discuss my rehearsal experiences for the Roof Breaking Event!

For those who are just stumbling upon this blog, The Ailey Studios, home of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Ailey II, and The Ailey School, is undergoing expansive construction. To celebrate this new chapter of the Ailey Legacy, some of the students from the school, including myself,  have been selected to perform excerpts from Mr. Ailey's legendary piece, "Revelations," at a roof breaking event coming up!

Learning parts of "Rocka My Soul In the Bosom of Abraham" has been a big highlight of this experience. The dance itself has a very distinct rhythm that, when married to the music, evokes the lively spirit of the typical, black, baptist church. It's very syncopated, with many different qualities (smooth, sharp, steady, fluid...) that are used to create a regal, soulful, and spiritual experience.

So far, my return to school has been eventful, but taking part of this rehearsal process has made my return particularly special.

No comments:

Post a Comment