Friday, December 16, 2016

Graham Minus Four Counts

On Wednesday December 15th, 2016, I had Graham class, where my teacher gave my class a combination across the floor that was almost the same as the exercise that was given two days previously. The main difference between the two combinations was that she took out the first 4 of 8 prances that were in the original combination. Somehow this minor change threw the whole class off the timing of the exercise. Not only did everyone revert back to dancing the full 8 prances, but we also had strange pauses in the exercise and were never quite consistent with the phrasing of the exercise.

This experience taught me that it's important to not rely on anyone else to have the counts or the steps of an exercise, but to be confident in what I pick up directly from the teacher or choreographer who gives the step. Even if it looks wrong to my classmates, I think it's more important to be accurate with the choreography and musical phrasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment