Saturday, December 3, 2016

Music Project

On Thursday, December 1, 2016, students of my Music class were finishing preparations for their projects for the semester. The assignment of the project was to choreograph a 30 second to 2 minute piece to a song from a culture that we (the choreographer) are unfamiliar with. The song was to have a a solo voice, and the movement of the piece should directly reflected the rhythm and quality of that voice.  

When choreographing my piece, I found that the assignment was more challenging than I anticipated. I am not very comfortable with my composition skills, and because I set high expectations for myself and am very self critical about my work, I over edit my work, which is stifling to my creative flow. 

A part from this, the music I chose was very complicated. The song by the Egyptian pop artist Ehab Tawfik and the title is called Tettraga Feya (Arabic: ايهاب توفيق - تترجى فيا) which means "Begging Me" in English.  At first I decided to work on the first verse of the song combined with the chorus, but although the song is in 4/4, the beginning doesn't have a fixed meter, but rather the accompaniment just plays along in response to the vocals. However, I changed the part of the song I wanted to choreograph to a verse later in the song where the rhythm was more distinct and where I felt there was more contrast in dynamics in the music. But even then, the is a point in the selection where there is a measure of 6 before it continues in four...

I've concluded that my song is complicated. But I enjoy this complication because it keeps the listener refreshed with spontaneity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment